The Meskwaki people speak the language given by the Creator to live and to continue the visions of our ancestors.”
The mission of the Meskwaki Language Preservation Department is to promote language use, develop language resource materials for community, develop classroom resources for school and program sponsored classes, establish a repository of language materials, develop language learning programs, develop language teachers and provide for the establishment of Meskwaki language classes.
The Meskwaki Language Preservation Program was established by Tribal Council resolution in 2009 as a program within the Meskwaki Historic Preservation Department. Eventually because of the great importance placed on the tribal language by tribal membership, the program was established as its own department by Tribal Council resolution in June of 2011.
- In the summer of 2012 the Meskwaki Language Preservation instituted a pilot immersion project for children ages 3 to 5 at the Meskwaki Settlement School.
- In 2014, through tribal council resolution, the Early Childhood and Pre-Kindergarten programs transitioned into a Meskwaki immersion program.
- In 2014, The Meskwaki Language Revitalization Strategic Plan which was developed by a representative group of community members and tribal operations departmental staff was adopted by the Tribal Council Resolution in July .
- 2015, The Meskwaki Language App was developed for both Apple operating system and made available in Dec.
- 2016, The Android version of the Meskwaki Language app was made available in August.
- 2016, Meskwaki Language iBook series developed and available for download through the Apple Store.
- 2017, Adult immersion pilot project initiated at the Meskwaki Settlement School to increase language skills of Language Teacher Assistants.
- Meskwaki Reading and Writing classes initiated.
Download your own Meskwaki Language App (Iphone) HERE!
Download your own Meskwaki Language App (Android) HERE!
Download Meskwaki Language IBook Series HERE!
|Language Specialist||Amanda Davenport|
|Resource Developer||Uriah Wanatee|
|Language Teacher||Anita Kapayou|
|Office Assistant||Leigh Lasley|
|Physical Address:||Mailing Address:||Phone: 641.484.3185|
|303 Meskwaki Road
Tama, IA 52339
|349 Meskwaki Road
Tama, IA 52339