Providing concepts and entry strategies to promote the economic growth of the Meskwaki Nation by empowering its Native workforce.
The Meskwaki Workforce Department facilitates the mobilization of community assets to diversify employment and promote financial empowerment within the Meskwaki Nation. Its vision is to continually advocate for the development of a healthy, self-sufficient economy while strengthening and building upon Tribal values.
- Organizational Development
- Workforce Education and Training
FREE Income Tax Preparation Services
Free income tax preparation services are offered through the AARP Tax Aide Program.
Entrepreneurship Training is held annually and assists community members thinking of starting a business and/or to assist a business with some aspect of their operations. The areas covered during this 2-day training include:
- Setting personal goals
- Identifying skills needed to run a business
- Overview of the components of a business plan
- Describing your products and services
- Marketing research and market analysis
- Developing a marketing plan
- Identifying a location
- Form of ownership – legal issues, insurance, taxes, leases, intellectual property
- Record keeping – startup budget, cash flow statement, balance sheet, profit/loss statement
- What the numbers tell you – how to do a break-even analysis
- Small business financing
- Management and operations – leadership team, operational plan
- Your path to business ownership – putting you plan into action
Working in collaboration with the Meskwaki Youth Development Program Financial Literacy training is part of the Summer Youth Enrichment Program (SYEP) and include one hour sessions held over a six week period. The training utilizes the curriculum from Building Native Communities – Financial Skills for Families and covers the topics of:
- Building a Healthy Economy
- Developing a spending plan
- Working with checking and savings accounts
- Understanding credit and your credit report
- Using credit
- Be a smart consumer
Promoting Tribal Economies Course
Promoting Tribal Economies Course (PTEC) is a workforce development course through MFSI for Meskwaki Community Members interested in farming or related business. Participants build their resumes while hearing from local speakers, going on field trips, learning about food and farming, and building workplace skills during on-the-job training.
Access the 2016 PTEC outcomes report HERE!
Call for information about the next class! Contact Shelley Kapayou to find out more at (641) 484-9501.
WORKFORCE Development Staff
|Director||Shelley Kapayou (interim)|
|Administrative Assistant||Shoshonis Brown|
|Farm Production Manager||Grant Shadden|
|Permaculture Specialist||Adam Ledvina|
|Farm Crew Leader||Dewey Youngbear Bass|
|Workforce Development Coordinator||Shelley Kapayou|
|Physical Address:||Mailing Address:||Phone: 641.484.9501|
|1496 Hwy 30 Suite 500
Tama, IA 52339
|349 Meskwaki Road
Tama, IA 52339