October 1st starts the new fiscal year for the Tribe, including the Meskwaki Health Clinic. With that, funding for the Vision Program has been set aside for medical patients who reside within a 25 mile radius of the Clinic.
Below are the policies for referrals for eyeglasses:
- Have to be a patient of the Clinic (not just pharmacy or dental use). **
- Have to be Native American (enrolled, descendant, other Tribe) residing within 25-mile radius of the Clinic. **
- The funding limits are set at $275, which includes the exam, frames, and lenses or contacts.
- The Clinic will refer you to Marshalltown Wal-mart where we have established a contract.
- By going here, you will not have to pay anything out of pocket except for any amount over $275.
- Adults are eligible every 2 years for vision program.
- Children are eligible every year for vision program.
- Diabetic eye exams are eligible every year and will still be referred to local providers but you always have the option to purchase frames and lenses from Wal-mart due to high costs of the local providers, which may result in out-of-pocket expenses.
- Elders 60 and older in need of bifocals, trifocals, etc. additional funding is available for you up to $450 for exam, frames, and lenses.
- Patients have the option to go elsewhere such as Vision-for-Less, Eye Care Associates, America’s Best, Pearle Vision Center, etc.
- Understand you will have to pay up front at these locations and the Clinic will reimburse you up to the $275 limit.
- As with all referrals, the Clinic is the payor of last resort so we will bill / collect from your insurance first.
- Any questions, please don’t hesitate to call the Clinic and speak with Nancy Jungling for a half-sheet referral to Wal-mart or further details.
** Must meet 25-mile residency requirement for 6 months before referral services are granted.