Due to circumstances beyond our control, the Summer Solstice Festival has been postponed to a later date. New information coming soon!
Please join us for an evening full of activities and celebration at Red Earth Gardens for our Summer Solstice Festival on Friday, June 21st!
Events begin at 4:00 pm.
Fun Run/Walk and Youth Races at 5:30 pm. *If raining, the run/walk will be cancelled.
Traditional Meal will be served following the fun run/walk.
Join us for the Summer Solstice Milkweed Festival on Wednesday, July 10th from 10:00 am – 1:30 pm.
Fun Walk/Run around Red Earth Gardens – Registration starts at 10:00 am, Walk/Run at 10:30 am.
Noon Meal – featuring milkweed and other foraged foods, corn, beans, squash, frybread, bison and walleye.
For the Kids: Door Prizes, bouncy houses, and participation/placement ribbons for the walk/run!
Door Prizes: Including 2 special drawings for those who bring complete dish-kits.
Participation t-shirts for youth and adults.
Red Earth Gardens is located at 1401 305th Street, Tama IA (Behind the Casino, South of the RV Park).
Event sponsored by Red Earth Gardens, Meskwaki Ag & Food Sovereignty Initiative, Meskwaki Diabetes Program, Meskwaki Youth Program.
Meskwaki Nation Day is on Saturday, July 13, 2019. All events will be held at the Meskwaki Tribal Center:
- Fun Run/Walk
- 8:30 am – Registration (tshirts)
- 9:00 am – Start
- Refreshments provided after. Sponsored by Meskwaki Health Clinic and MADAC
- Flag Raising
- 10:00 am
- 4×4 Adult Volleyball Tournament
- 10:00 am – Registration with Quincy
- 11:00 am – Tribal Center Gym
- Bags Tournament
- 10:00 am – Registration with Joni
- 11:00 am – South Side of Tribal Center
- 3×3 Youth Basketball Tournament
- 8:30 am – Registration with Tashina
- 10:15 am – Outside Courts
- 11:30 am – 1:00 pm
- 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- Sponsored by Meskwaki Agriculture and Food Sovereignty
- 5:00 pm – Presentation by MSS Geography Club: Europe Experience
- Bone Dice
- 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- Moccasin Game
- 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Evening door prizes – must be present to win!
-Tribe will not be held responsible for any accidents or incidents.
Meskwaki Nation Day Powwow
July 13, 2019 at the Tribal Center Gym
6:00 pm – Grand Entry
Head Man: Sean Keahna, Jr.
Head Woman: Delonda Pushetonequa
AD: David “Odie” OldBear
- Tiny Tots – Sponsored by Meskwaki Family Services
- Jr Girls (7-12) Traditional, Fancy, Jingle – Sponsored by Meskwaki Youth Program
- Teen Girls (13-17) Traditional, Fancy, Jingle – Sponsored by Meskwaki Youth Program
- Jr Boys (7-12) Traditional, Fancy, Grass – Sponsored by Meskwaki Youth Program
- Teen Boys (13-17) Traditional, Fancy, Grass – Sponsored by Meskwaki Youth Program
The Meskwaki Youth Program along with co-hosts: University of Iowa Lacrosse Team, and the IA Mavericks Girls Lacrosse Coaches Clinic will be sponsoring a Lacrosse Camp to be held on Saturday, September 28th.
This Lacrosse Camp will be held on September 28th, from 2:00 pm – 5:00 pm for Boys and Girls in Grades 3rd – 6th at the Meskwaki Settlement School Football Field (1610 305th Street, Tama, IA 52339).
The cost for this camp is $10 per child – cost includes T-shirt and snack.
Onsite Registration and Drop off at MSS at 1:45pm
OR online at ,https://forms.gle/uEJPgb5qEB8JRCyB7,
For more information or questions, contact Meskwaki Youth Program at (641) 484-5369.
Meskwaki Youth Program is proud to announce the Veterans Day Powwow Princess and Brave Contest!
Applications are now being accepted for the Princess and Brave contest. The application and picture deadline is October 18, 2019. Applicants must be from 10-17 years of age, and a descendant of a Meskwaki Veteran. You can apply online at > , https://forms.gle/Li71Sgxcf2CrN4Zf6 .
For questions please contact MYP at (641) 484-5369.
Join the Meskwaki Settlement School for the Fall Sports Banquet honoring all 9th through 12th grade Cross Country, Football and Volleyball participants.
This Banquet will be held on Tuesday, November 5th from 5:30 pm to 8:00 pm in the MBCH Convention Center. The meal will be served at 5:30 pm and the Award Ceremony will begin at 6:30 pm.
2019 Meskwaki Veterans Powwow – Saturday, November 9th in the MSS High School Gym
ALL Veterans and General Public Invited – Free Admission.
Come join us as we honor and show respect to Veterans.
5:00 pm – Dinner (Sides Greatly appreciated!)
5:30 pm – Veterans Powwow Princess and Brave Contest
- 10-17 years old
- Must be a descendant of Meskwaki Veteran
6:30 pm – Grand Entry
- Color Guard – Robert Morgan Legion Post #701
- Head Man – Dennis Youngbear, US Army -Meskwaki
- Head Lady – Aubry Roberts, 2018 Veterans Princess
- Emcee – Mikona – Tyler Lasley
- Youth Emcee – Tyrin Lasley
- Arena Director – Jason “Jayrock” Kingbird
- Youth Arena Director – Lincoln Kingbird
- Host Drum – Coon Hunters
- Youth Host Drum – The Crew
- Sound – Bones Explicit
- Junior Girls Jingle Special – 3 Places, Sponsored by Aubrey Roberts, 2018 Veterans Princess
- Veterans Men’s Combined (50 & up) – 1st Place and 2 Consolations, Sponsored by Dennis Youngbear
- Youth Categories (Juniors & Teens) All Styles – Sponsored by Meskwaki Youth Program
- Tiny Tots (6 & under) Must be in Regalia- Sponsored by Meskwaki Family Services
To Sponsor a Special – Please contact Jennie Wanatee at (641) 481-5360.
All Drums (Day Money) and Vendors – Contact Jennie Wanatee (641) 481-5360
Door Prizes throughout the evening – MUST BE PRESENT TO WIN
Questions? Contact Jennie Wanatee at (641) 481-5369.
Hosted in partnership: STC Native Pride Unity Club and Meskwaki Nation Youth Program
The Meskwaki Youth Program is having a Girls Lacrosse Parent Meeting on January 15 from 7-8pm in the MSS High School Commons.
This is for Girls in Grades 4th – 6th, also please note there will be a $30 Registration Fee.
During this Parent Meeting the following will be discussed:
- Girls Team Name/Logo/Colors/Uniform
- Practice Times
- Upcoming Clinics
- Lacrosse Games and Tournaments